Background

Hearing ticker

CafeMom Tickers

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Happy 18 Month Birthday, Hunter

My baby boy's 18 month birthday is today. Kinda crazy, at least I think so.

In a perfect world, my plan was to post an 18 month video. Well that idea came and went, and tonight I just don't have the energy to pull an all nighter. We had AV therapy today in BR, and Hunter was running on 30 minutes sleep. Total. All day. After every activity, he was whining for his mommy. Which is exhausting to be a part of when they are trying to get him to talk at therapy. He did well on the ride there, got a little fussy on the way back, and was in bed for 6pm!

On the way there I spoke with a physical therapist who has her own clinic in Lafayette. We talked about the option of bringing in PT in addition to OT to help with the walking, but I think her bigger concern is the fact that he sits in the W position. It really takes the weight off of his back and she's concerned that he isn't getting the strength he needs on a timely basis just in general, not necessarily to walk. She offered for him to borrow a medical walker that fits him and see if he liked it. He liked it there. He liked it in the driveway, but after a small fall and a papercut size scratch, he was over it for the time being. We were totally SHOUTING "special needs kid" in the driveway with our walker. And it bothered me more than I would have liked for it to. And I feel guilty admitting that. It wasn't enough to make him use it inside, but enough to look around and see if any of our neighbors were watching. But who am I kidding, only 5% of our neighbors actually spend time outside of their houses in the daylight!


With our little cool front here in the south, we got to play outside this week and H was loving it with a few of his favorite things....

Straws!

Bubbles!

Plus lots and lots of balls!


Oh and I didn't get a picture of it, but a lady walking her dog joined the party as well! Happy 18 month birthday my sweet boy... time has really flown!



5 comments:

  1. Happy 18th month birthday H! Hope to see you soon! XOXO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Hunter! Hi Elise - It's Heather, Jacob's mom in Tennessee. I am so glad you are posting more now - I love reading about Hunter. I read this post a few days ago and lo and behold, Jacob came home from PT with a walker yesterday. I was somewhat prepared after reading your post (Jacob has a horrible W sit and isn't walking yet either), but it was pretty hard for my hubby. Hang in there sweet friend, we are on a long road, but we will get there. Not in our own strength though! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Hunter! Hi Elise - It's Heather, Jacob's mom in Tennessee. I am so glad you are posting more now - I love reading about Hunter. I read this post a few days ago and lo and behold, Jacob came home from PT with a walker yesterday. I was somewhat prepared after reading your post (Jacob has a horrible W sit and isn't walking yet either), but it was pretty hard for my hubby. Hang in there sweet friend, we are on a long road, but we will get there. Not in our own strength though! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my he sure is getting big! and cute as a button! Aiden didn't walk until around 20 months, was a huge "w" position sitter, and well, still has OT and PT at 4 1/2. When I look back, I was such a stressed mommy with all the therapies, but they've done a world of wonders and he's coming along just fine. I get the uging the walker outside thing. I cried the day they told me Aiden needed glasses because all I could think of was "how much equipment can this kid have on his head?!?" and couldn't get over the fact that now people are really going to start - glasses AND CIs?! But of course, it's been fine and I felt bad it took that long to get them as I didn't realize his vision was that bad and he's actually pretty darn cute in them! Happy 18 months Hunter!

    ReplyDelete