Hearing ticker

CafeMom Tickers

Thursday, May 24, 2012

So much to say...

Okay, where do I begin? I try not to let too many things happe between posts, but every night before I know it I can no longer keep my eye open long enough and I don't have a clear enough head to write.

Let's start with yesterday. We had a 10am mapping appointment with Mrs. Tanya at Ochsner's to get Hunter's CIs turned up! We are hoping that this helps him respond to voices a letter better. We've got the response to noises, i.e., drum, clappping, knocking, toy clapper, anything in a formula canister while shaking... that's all a go! His name, Hunter... well we're still working on that! The appointment went well considering it was naptime and he was asleep before we got out of the parking garage. He didn't fuss one bit. I didn't think he minded the volume being turned up. This morning was a whole different story. Blair had to go into work early, and my first mistake was when I heard him tossing I got him to lay in bed with me. He did it the morning before and fell asleep on me within minutes. It's my most favorite thing in the world, but I should have known not to try it two days in a row. I usually get up and dressed when I hear him stirring and then when he's standing I will go get him for breakfast. This morning when I laid him on me in bed, he was still for a while until his eye caught the green light on the monitor. That was it! His head popped up so fast and pointer finger in the air! There was no turning back.....

After playing in bed for a while I got him up and dressed. As I was attempting to put his ears on, he was freaking out as though it was the first time he had ever heard sound before. As most of you know, he's become very clingy to me lately, so immediately he grabbed hold, started sobbing and wouldn't let go. I managed to get one ear on. Got up and went to feed him. (his favortie activity). He cried, and cried, and cried while he ate. He was one unhappy camper. And he only had one ear on! It was getting late and I thought about bringing him to the sitter and coming back home to get ready, but I attempted to get ready while he wept and moaned and tried in every manner to cling on to me. This was after I had taken the ear off completely. It was just a total melt down of a morning. I usually keep my cool and remain patient with him so as not to make things worse, but I couldn't take it this morning. He kept trying to climb on me and I just had to keep pushing (gently, I promise) him off. That made it even worse. I got half way done and put him in the car to the sitter. He was fine the whole way there and cried for a minute when I left. She said she eventually got both ears on and he was fine the rest of the day. What a relief, because my morning was pretty much already crushed! That's my once every 6 months I just need to breathe and be alone moment!

On a side note, at noon today, our Speech Therapist from Early Steps met with me, the sitter, our deaf ed teacher, and another ST from Early Steps. It was a succesful meeting and he will received ST three times a month. Twice at the sitter and once at home.... on top of AV Therapy once a week, a special teach once a month, and OT twice a month. He's a learning sponge at this age, so we are trying to get him as much therapy as we can without overwhelming him. Although I'm overwhelmed just typing all of that! Good thing his therapy sessions are more like play sessions!

Back to Wednesday. We had AV therapy after our NOLA appointment in Baton Rouge. Hunter did well with his new mappings. Nothing really startled him and we started to hear some Aaaaaah noises out of him when we did the airplane sounds. He also immitated the car sound, so we were thrilled. The appointment was kind of a blur and overshadowed by the 3 hour car ride home from Baton Rouge due to a spill on the highway. It took us an hour and a half to go about 10 miles. Lemme tell you, Hunter was a trooper. I on the other hand sat ever so calmly wanting to rip my hait out and just wanting to be home after such a long day on the road. I will do better next week with our therapy post. Promise.

One BIG BIG thing though, is that Hunter is starting to be on his feet a LOT more these days and we couldn't be more proud of him! We inhereted a walker that helped Cousin Eli walk and we have been practicing day in and day out! Here's a short video from Sunday. Excuse the diaper only bottom.....

We are going to the beach in July so we are hoping to perfect it alone by then!

Sorry this post is a little scattered, but here is a picture we got with Hunter and his CI Surgeon, Dr. Molony while we were at our mapping appointment yesterday! (notice him only wanting mommy!)

On Monday, we were honored to meet Archbishop Flynn and Hunter received a blessing from him. He was such a nice man and so very interested in Hunter's condition. We are so grateful so have this picture! Notice again, mommy had to be in it because he would not leave my side.

And here are a few more random picture updates....

I know I am leaving more things out, I just can't think at this moment. I hope everyone has a safe and happy Memorial Day Weekend! We can't wait to see Nanny Bev tomorrow :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh Big Boy... Walking like a champ... Scheduled play date SOON!